Longridge Town Archive
Archive Index  |  Login  

The Old Bone Mill

Inglewhite Road

The Old Bone Mill, Inglewhite Road

Photograph Taken: c.1969
Photographer: Unknown
Catalogue Reference: 253B
More Information

This archive entry is © Longridge and District Local History Society.

This archive entry is courtesy of Ken Willan.

The photograph shows the demolition of the Old Bobbin Mill in progress. 


The following text is taken from some memories of Bill Riding: 

" ....  In the 1877 the directory of Preston lists R&W Dagger as bone crushers in Pitt Street, Longridge. Also Thomas Slater as Bobbin and general Wood Turner, Pitt Street Longridge. In 1879 The Bone Mill, was run by Schofield's for 3 or 4 years. It was later taken over by Duxbury's as a Provender Mill, until they moved to new premises across the road." 


".... R &W Dagger had a son, George who took the building at the corner of, Berry Lane and Derby Road as a provision and corn merchant. This corner was locally known as; 'DAGGER CORNER.'  It later became Crook's Chemist and then was re-named by locals as 'CROOK'S CORNER.'  It was demolished in 1999 to make way for a mini roundabout in front of the Forrest Arms. 

Bill Wood ran a smithy in the Bone Mill Yard and when he retired c.1947, it was bought by Taylor and Russell." 


Looking for more? Try searching for:

Inglewhite Road, Bobbin Mill

You may also be interested in:

The Heritage Lottery Fund
HERITAGE CENTRE
TOWN ARCHIVE
WORKSTATION
OLD STATION CAFÉ