Longridge Town Archive
Archive Index  |  Login  

Halfpenny Lane

Th'Owd Dun Cow Rib Farm

Halfpenny Lane, Th'Owd Dun Cow Rib Farm

Photograph Taken: Unknown
Photographer: Unknown
Catalogue Reference: 137A
More Information

This archive entry is © Longridge and District Local History Society.

'Old Dun Cow Rib' built by Adam Hoghton in 1616 and named; 'Moor Farm', known locally as, 'T'howd Rib'.

 

The legend of the Old Dun Cow:

There was once a cow that wandered around the countryside giving milk to all in need. It would fill anyone`s  bucket  but one day a witch came and milked the cow using a sieve and as the poor cow could not fill the sieve  it gave milk until it died of a broken heart.  The cow`s rib can be seen over the door of the Th`owd Rib House on Half Penny Lane. There used to be another rib saved in Grimsargh from the same cow.

Looking for more? Try searching for:

Old Dun Cow Rib, Halfpenny Lane, Farms

You may also be interested in:

The Heritage Lottery Fund
HERITAGE CENTRE
TOWN ARCHIVE
WORKSTATION
OLD STATION CAFÉ